it’s funny to me that people think LA is a cultural or intellectual hinterland when so many cool things keep happening. Maybe those people just watch too much cable?
Case in point: Slake Magazine is now on it’s 3rd issue (as in printed, heavy and hold in your hands issue), featuring writers such as
- Jerry Stahl, author of Permanent Midnight and I, Fatty and lots of other books
- James Greer, who writes beautiful experimental fiction and wisely spent part of his youth as bassist for Guided by Voices
- Local legend C. R. Stecyk III, who was included in MOCA’s recent Art in the Streets, has contributed a few photo essays
and young artists like
- Anne McCaddon (we will actually be posting images of anne’s beautiful work and studio this week)
- Michael Dopp
- and illustrators like Dan Peterka (work is shown below)
and they throw pretty good parties too.
Haven’t checked it out yet?
Now’s your chance to get with Slake and possibly get a free pair of sunglasses. The contest is fairly straightforward: if you buy a one-year ($60), two-year ($110), or gift subscription to Slake by October 20, you’ll be entered into a contest to win one pair of l.a.Eyeworks-brand sunglasses. There’s more details about the contest, and more about the magazine in general on their site here. Contest ends on the 20th!
while you are there: check out the limited edition prints of illustrations that have appeared in the issues.
by the way: if i win, these will be mine:)